The Estero Island Historic Society will host a 100 year anniversary party for its historic cottage on Saturday, December 18.
There will be an open house and celebration at the historic chalet (nicknamed “We are here”) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cottage is located at 161 Bay Road, past the Fort Myers Beach Public Library on the south side.
The celebration will include the sale of handmade quilts by Ann Alsop, homemade baked goods, free refreshments and historic holiday decorations.
Free entry. Donations of baked goods are welcome.
The Estero Island Historical Society cottage is open to the public for tours on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon.
The chalet museum is located at the start of the trail leading to Matanzas Pass Reserve, the last maritime tropical hammock on Estero Island. There is also a floating kayak dock, which is part of the Calusa Blueway.
Built in 1921, the Waterfront Cottage was the former home of the Davison family and the San Castle Kindergarten. The chalet was moved from Mango Street and consecrated in 1997 as the historical society and nature center of Estero Island. It is now located at the entrance to the Matanzas Pass Reserve at the end of Bay Road, behind the Fort Myers Beach Elementary School.
The company’s next public meeting will be on January 10 at 7 p.m. in the Community Room of the Fort Myers Beach Public Library. Author and historian Robert Macomber will present “A Civil War Christmas in Florida” the story of a young mixed-race couple during the Florida Civil War.
The Estero Island Historic Society also recently announced in a press release that “a richly detailed dollhouse, designed by Doris Moran” was recently donated to the Estero Island Historical Society. The dollhouse will be on display during the open house and celebration.