For the first time, the Illinois Homecoming celebration will include a community night in downtown Champaign. In conjunction with the Chancellors’ Committee to Support Homecoming, 40 North will host a special “Thursday Night Live” on October 7 from 5 to 7 pm.
“We want this to be a really special night in downtown Champaign, celebrating the community and the University of Illinois,” said Kelly White, CEO of 40 North. “Bringing in local artists and groups and giving community members a free and fun way to participate in Illinois Homecoming says a lot about the collaboration between campus and community.
40 North, the Champaign County Arts Council, is planning the event alongside the University of Illinois Alumni Association, bringing together local groups and artists to create a vibrant downtown atmosphere ahead of the festivities of the weekend.
“We’re thrilled to bring the excitement of Illinois Homecoming off campus and into the Champaign-Urbana community,” says Jennifer Dillavou, president of the University of Illinois Alumni Association. “It is important to recognize the role of the community in the lives of students and alumni while on campus, and there is no better time to celebrate and uplift the region than during Homecoming. “
Among the various activities planned, customers can expect:
• Two-hour performances of 90’s Daughter (Market St. and Taylor St. – outside of Pour Brothers and Seven Saints) and New Souls (Neil St. and Park Ave.)
• Artist Scott Barber, aka Scobar, does a chalk drawing live on Taylor St.
• Various activities for children
• Block I decorated by a local artist at various downtown businesses (including Pour Brothers, Seven Saints, The Recreation Club, Circles Boutique, Esquire Lounge, Hamilton Walker’s, Wood N ‘Hog Barbecue, Blind Pig Brewery, Jane Addams Book Shop, Exile on Main, Neil St. Blues, Fire Doll and Fagen Scooters.)
• special offers and discounts in downtown restaurants and shops
Community members are encouraged to attend and wear orange and blue to show their Illini pride. For more information on this event, visit https://homecoming.illinois.edu or follow the Facebook event at: https://www.facebook.com/events/2704459566513506.