Which platform is right for your business?
3D tour technology allows single-family rental housing providers the ability for future residents to view their homes via immersive three-dimensional tours that make the viewer feel like they are there, inside the property.
But two of the more popular options, Matterport and Zillow 3D, are very different platforms with different approaches to creating these tours. Depending on your needs, one may be better than the other for you. So let’s take a look at what makes each platform unique and which best meets your needs.
What is Matterport?
Matterport offers immersive and realistic 3D tours that are hard to beat. In these truly 3D experiences, viewers can easily move from room to room and zoom in for a detailed inspection of the space. The experience they offer is ideal for investors who want to optimize their resources to do everything from virtual due diligence to preparing for inspections at the time of ownership.
Benefits of Matterport: Single Family Rental Investors (SFRs) with investments across the country need a reliable way to appraise and manage properties remotely. Matterport offers this solution with ultra-realistic 3D tours.
- 3D dollhouse view: Matterport allows viewers to see a 3D view of a house from the outside, as if it were a dollhouse. Viewers can virtually easily move to different floors. Investors can view home improvement needs from anywhere.
- Precise dimensions: When investors take virtual tours before making purchasing decisions, the ability to accurately estimate renovation and repair costs is essential. Matterport dimensions are accurate to within 1%, resulting in better spans and ratings and less material waste.
- High dynamic range (HDR) photos: Investors can better determine the repair needs and other specifics of a property thanks to the highly detailed views available in HDR photos.
- Floor plans: Unlike Zillow 3D, Matterport also offers black and white 2D floor plans of the property. Investors can extract floor plans with near-perfect dimensional accuracy.
- Easy to share: 3D tours shouldn’t be difficult to share or integrate. Matterport tours are easy to embed on a website or share via a link.
- Marketing: Matterport 3D tours can be posted on most real estate sites to engage visitors and encourage return visits to the site. Recently, Matterport 3D Tours became available on Zillow Rentals, making Matterport the best of both worlds: a high-quality, immersive experience paired with Zillow’s unrivaled exposure.
- Key words : Viewers can take notes while visiting Mattertags. These tags allow viewers to rate home improvement and repair needs for themselves or their contractors. Or the tags can be used to highlight special rental characteristics.
What is Zillow 3D?
Zillow 3D is a digital panoramic walking tour native to Zillow.
Advantages of Zillow 3D: Zillow 3D has its place in the market. It’s the right solution for the right client. Here we will highlight the pros and cons to see if Zillow 3D is the right choice for your business.
- Price: You can’t beat for free! Zillow 3D is free with the platform, making it a clear choice for budget-conscious users.
- Featured Ad: When a rental ad has Zillow 3D, Zillow filters the ad as having a digital visit. It might increase list views which is a nice bonus.
- Marketing: Zillow adds a special icon on the Zillow card highlighting the visit.
- Speed: Zillow 3D has a quick setup. It takes less than 25 minutes to create and 15 minutes to process a 3D Zillow tour, unlike a 3D Matterport tour, which can take up to 45 minutes to develop and up to 12 hours to process.
Matterport and Zillow 3D are intended for different users. Matterport delivers the robust and detailed 3D experience investors need. You get an immersive tour that provides the information you need to make investment decisions based on the scope and budget of repairs and renovations. This allows you to estimate the profitability of the investment much earlier in the process. Zillow 3D is ideal for owners or operators who prioritize marketing only. If your goal is to increase ad visibility, this is the platform to choose. Weigh your needs and priorities to make your own final decision.
Kori Covrigaru is the co-founder and CEO of PlanOmatic, the largest and fastest-growing provider of property information and marketing services to the single-family home rental industry nationwide. With a nationwide network of hundreds of contractors and 40 employees, Covrigaru has met the moment with the unique value proposition that PlanOmatic delivers through technology combined with property information to support their clients’ goals.