Home Doll industry ‘Ripper’ found guilty of murder and sexual assault in four hours

‘Ripper’ found guilty of murder and sexual assault in four hours


A devil-obsessed “Ripper” is spending the rest of his life behind bars for killing a woman and attacking two others in a violent four-hour spree.

Sexual predator Brian Sengendo fatally beat and stabbed Therasia Gordon, 44, then dumped her body in the woods in Enfield, north London, last August.

Earlier in the same night, the 26-year-old delivery driver targeted two other vulnerable women in the area, the Old Bailey learned.

The defendant, who had a collection of tarot cards, was recorded on his mobile phone talking about devils and demons, jurors heard.

He told one of the victims “repeat after me, I am the devil’s child” as he forced her into a sex act, the court was told.

On Friday, Sengendo was found guilty of seven counts, including murder, attempted murder, kidnapping and rape.

The jury was discharged from reaching verdicts on two other counts of kidnapping and threatening with a knife involving a fourth woman.

Judge John Hillen praised police for their “remarkable” job in catching a would-be serial killer before he could strike again.

He said: ‘Thanks to effective police work…it may well be that a serial killer was caught on day one.

“This is, to use a vernacular reporter, a Ripper case where an offender was caught in the first place.

“This is an extreme case where there was attempted murder, actual murder and rape of sex workers.”

Adjourning sentencing until March 18, the judge said the starting point would be 30 years but he would consider a life order, meaning Sengendo would never be released.

During the trial, prosecutor John Price QC had told jurors that Sengendo carried out the attacks of “increasing severity” in less than four hours on the night of August 3 last year.

He kidnapped vulnerable women by “trapping” them in his Vauxhall van.

Mr Price said: ‘He pretended to be a potential client, when in truth, having just entered and closed the door, this man had something very different in mind.’

Police first became aware after an officer went to the aid of an injured woman seen tripping in the road just after midnight on August 4 last year.

Holding her bleeding neck, the woman cried, “I was stabbed, can someone please help me?”

She told the officer, “I’m a prostitute and my client stabbed me then threw my cell phone into the bush.”

A New Park Avenue resident called police shortly before 1 a.m. to report an assault in an alley behind his home.

Therasia Gordon, 44, was killed by Brian Sengendo and he later dumped her body in the woods (Met Police/PA)

He had heard a female voice shout “Help, please, no!” and saw a young man hitting something inside a van, the court heard.

When police arrived the van was gone but officers found a large pool of blood on the floor, a cellphone and two bloodstained knives, jurors heard.

The phone was found to belong to Ms Gordon, a sex worker, and police circulated her details as a ‘high risk missing person’.

Just under 32 hours later, a woman taking a morning stroll along the Burnt Farm Ride near the M25 saw what she thought was a ‘life-size doll’ among the trees.

A day later, early August 6, a cyclist stopped and took a closer look and realized it was a woman.

Mr Price said: ‘He called her but got no answer. He thought she must be dead, so he called the police.

“From the outward appearance of her body, it was immediately apparent that Ms Gordon had suffered a violent death. She had been stabbed and beaten.

From nearby CCTV cameras, police identified a white Vauxhall Vivaro van which was linked to the accused’s former address in Enfield.

Sengendo was arrested in the early hours of August 7 last year and told police in an interview he was “confused” but did not answer questions.

However, police found his blood-soaked sneakers and tarot cards in an empty flat next to the defendant’s home.

Brian Sengendo van

Police quickly tied a van to Brian Sengendo (Met Police/PA)

Sengendo’s T-shirt was found at the scene of Ms Gordon’s attack.

DNA tests linked it to the accused, Ms Gordon and to the saliva of another victim.

Two phones were recovered – one near where Ms Gordon’s body was dumped, which contained a picture of the defendant wearing the same t-shirt.

Closer examination also revealed the video in which he forced one of his victims to perform oral sex.

The second phone revealed searches for ‘Dead girl in Enfield’ and ‘How long is DNA’ in the days between the murder and the discovery of the body.

In his testimony, Sengendo, from Enfield, claimed that a man called “KT” whom he had met through his work as a Yodel delivery driver must have taken the t-shirt and spare keys to his Van.

He denied all charges against him, saying he believed in the devil as any Christian would.

Following the guilty verdicts, the prosecution indicated that the Crown would not seek a new trial on the outstanding charges.

Ms Gordon’s mother Jan said: ‘I still think about what Therasia must have been through when she died. Listening to the evidence in court was heartbreaking.

“One of the things that pops into my head is the evidence that one of the witnesses could hear her moaning, I can’t get the idea out of my head that she’s in pain because of her hands.

“I don’t understand why this man made my family go through the murder of Theresia day after day during a long and difficult trial at the Crown Court. He knew what he had done but continued to hurt my family.

“As a family, we will never get over the fact that I lost a daughter and they lost their brother. I will never accept what this person did to my child. He left a big void in my heart.

Chief Superintendent Simon Crick, police officer for Enfield and Haringey, said: ‘The murder of Therasia and the abduction of two other women has rightly caused great concern in our community. Everyone has the right to feel safe on our streets, no matter who you are or what you do.

Chief Detective Inspector Neil John, who led the investigation, said: ‘Therasia’s murder had a devastating impact on her family, especially her mother Jan.

“Not only did she have to deal with the pain of losing her daughter, but she also had to relive the events of that night thanks to Sengendo’s refusal to take responsibility for his actions.

“She has shown the utmost dignity by coming to court every day and we hope she finds some comfort in knowing that her daughter’s killer will spend most of his life behind bars.

“We must not forget the other women who suffered at the hands of Sengendo. They, too, spoke of the lasting effect that night had on them. We salute their bravery by speaking to us and providing the evidence that was crucial to his conviction. »

Emma Currie of the CPS said Sengendo was a “violent and depraved man”.

She said: “The prosecution case included DNA evidence, CCTV footage, telephone evidence and strong testimony. One victim described how Sengendo told him he worshiped the devil and had to kill an innocent person.

“The CPS is committed to bringing to justice offenders who commit violent crimes against women.